Monday, January 25, 2016

What is best in life? Not bothering.



Ever since I first looked at a review of a Superman comic in late 1995, I've been a voracious consumer of all kind of nerdy news on the internet, gladly hoovering up comic book solicitations and horror movie reviews and in-depth essays about Ambush Bug.

I still have that first web generation mentality of thinking that I have to look at it all, but my online life got so much better when I realised I didn't actually have to look at some things.

I don't need to read any well-intentioned think-pieces about the intentions of somebody who is going to be writing Doctor Who in 2018, and I don't ever have to read any soul-despairing movie trailer breakdowns. (In all media, this is probably the second worse job in journalism - writing down a description of everything that you can already see in  a one minute and forty five second clip, followed by blind speculation about what it all means. The worst job in journalism, of course, is doing a live piece to camera in the middle of some terrible storm.)


And I don't have to bother with the tedious nitpicking of those 'Everything MOVIE X did wrong in 90 seconds' or 'Honest Movie Trailers'. There are better things to do with my time than watch these things, dedicated to crushing any life out of a movie story by pointing out plot holes you didn't care about and making fun of you for liking something that might be a bit cheesy or fun.

It took me a ridiculously long time to realise all this. I am a thorough man, but I am not a smart man.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Robocop got a very favorable review by Honest trailers. That and Die Hard.